Frank’s funeral was held five days later on 13th December 1940 at St James’ Church Bermondsey and he was then buried in Nunhead Cemetery. St James’ archives are lodged with the London Metropolitan Archives, but there are no surviving records covering his funeral. The South London Press ran the article below detailing the funeral.

South London News, Friday 13th December 1940

Frank’s entry in the burial register for Nunhead Cemetery. Pictures of the grave site as it is today are in a section below.

Image sourced from Deceased Online


Fittingly, Frank’s grave is immediately adjacent to the memorial maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission detailing the names of WW2 combatants who are buried in Nunhead. His mother Alice’s grave lies very close by

Frank’s grave is very close to the Limesford Road entrance. Image source: Google Maps
Franks grave lies in the wooded area to the right of the path leading into the woods. The large grey wall is the WW1 memorial and the low stones of the WW2 memorial can be seen beyond. The Limesford Road entrance to Nunhead Cemetery is to the right of this picture. Photo: Bryan Jones
Frank’s grave lies within the wooded area beyond the World War Two memorial. Photo: Bryan Jones

2015 Memorial Gathering

On 13th December 2015, 16th Bermondsey Scout Group, joined by members of Frank Davis’ family, held a gathering to mark the 75th anniversary of Frank’s funeral.

The family members, Leaders and young people laid a wreath in the shape of the original Boy Scout badge Frank Davis would of known and surrounded it with a circle of leaves to make the “Gone Home” tracking sign.

2020 80th Anniversary

Sadly, as with many other events, the COVID pandemic stopped any memorial events in person. Instead there was an online talk to mark the date of Frank’s death. The video of it can be found on 16th Bermondsey’s Facebook page.